Sunday, February 27, 2005

The Promise

This poem is dedicated to all those brave, selfless soldiers, who willingly and most happily put down their lives for the nation in the Kargil War. I am a very proud son of this nation; made proud because of all those fathers and brothers, sons and husbands who have sacrificed in the supreme sense of the word - because I am an Indian.


He promised he’d be back today
And take me out.
He said it would be this day,
When we could scout.

He promised me a hundred times,
To take me into the wood.
He said, “In a world of crimes,
It does you a lot of good.”

I remember him in his uniform bright,
Sling over his shoulder the rifle,
Setting out to protect all that’s right,
He looked at me; smiled a trifle.

He hugged my mother and her eyes glistened,
With no trace of pretence.
He kneeled ere me and I intently listened
To his promise, in all innocence.

* * *

It was late, dark and raining,
When came that knock.
He grimly said something, his colour all draining,
Which hit dear mother like a rock.

A young lad am I; yet I knew
I had lost father dear.
We had to start again anew,
As the shroud began to clear.

Slowly I looked up to my mother-
Her hands and face pale;
Looking frail as a feather,
Unknowing to lament her tale.

“I shall not, my father, shed a tear;
Your’s is a supreme sacrifice.
To uphold good and duty, I shan’t ever fear;
Your son, my loving father, I promise.”


* * *

1 comment:

Jus Suba said...

hey ram...

the lines are lovely...liked the ones that follow..
"He promised me a hundred times,
To take me into the wood.
He said, “In a world of crimes,
It does you a lot of good".

keep it up